Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Fallishness

I was talking to my mother this morning, receiving the requisite advice about life in general, walking through the streets of NYC, and just generally feeling very happy. I have to be honest, and I know my California friends will absolutely boo this thought, but I'm not so thrilled about the 73 weather...I think fall should feel and look like fall...although I'm sure after a few days of freezing-ness, I'll be complaining about that too!
But talking to my mom suddenly shifted me back many years, to the great Wisconsin falls, and split pea soup. I can close my eyes and picture exactly a scene that took place, and repeated itself, many many years ago. My mom always made delicious, thick, split pea soup which we garnished with yummy croutons, and I'd sit at the kitchen table, looking out our windows and seeing that characteristic fall sky, nearly-leafless trees waving gently in the late afternoon breeze. The soup would be bubbling on the stove, mom and I both starving, but waiting for dad to get home from work so we could dive in to the green goodness. I can still smell and taste it! I told my mom this, and she told me that she was washing dishes this morning and suddenly flashed back to when I was a little girl, probably no more than three or four, helping my dad with the dishes. There is a picture of me, standing on a chair next to the sink, a towel tied around my waist, and 'helping' dad wash and dry our supper dishes. I've always loved doing the dishes, except for a brief stint of hating them in high school, so I guess this love came early. As far as I remember, I think I used to ask to help do the dishes...weird kid that I was!
It feels nice to take a few minutes to sit down and write something; it feels like forever. My days have been absorbed with studying for the recent slew of tests, studying that I am fervently praying paid off. Grad school is tough, but I love what I'm learning, even if, as my friend Kathleen pointed out, it often feels disorganized at best, and we have to reconcile ourselves to the fact that we will mostly be teaching ourselves. But, for what its worth, I am so thankful to God for the opportunity. The sucky thing though is not keeping in better touch with friends that I have around the country...those of you I owe calls to, please know I love you and always will, and we'll talk soon!
My birthday this year was indescribably fabulous, and I wake up each day, astonished at the blessings that the Lord has seen fit to give me, from amazing, irreplaceable friends, to a cozy apartment, to enough (but just barely enough) money in the bank acct, to loving parents, to a great Kitty! Life is not always easy; ha, who am I kidding? It is never easy; but God has given all of us blessings, every day, and I pray that we are all able, no matter where we are or what circumstances we find ourselves in, be able to have the eyes to see them. "Every good and perfect gift comes from the Father above", and what an incredible Father He is.

No comments: