Tuesday, May 27, 2008

New York City, baby

In prep for my trip out here, I burned some CDs to wile away those long hours in the minivan. I call them "NYC baby", 1-16. So now, everytime I say New York City, I have to put a 'baby' on it; it doesn't sound natural if I don't. But I digress, right from the start. NYC is wonderful. God has been so gracious to me; L and I arrived out here safely on Saturday, after approx. 23 hrs. in the van. Our friend J lives here, and we spent the past few days with her, exploring the city, seeing the peeps, doing what comes 'natch' (short for naturally). It was Brooklyn Bridge's 125th birthday this weekend, and there were many festivities planned to celebrate it. We saw a great movie in the park, "It Happened in Brooklyn" with Frank Sinatra. I love Sinatra, but we couldn't stop laughing at this movie. It was pretty nuts. I've never seen a more depressed, bizarre cast in my life. Many an inside joke was created because of that one. Times Square at night is crazy crazy. But I loved the energy there, the life, the activity. I can't think of any other city I've been in where I've walked by people speaking Polish, French, German, Spanish, etc. all around, and everyone seeming to really embrace their heritage and the backgrounds of their neighbors, even if it is different from their own. And the native New Yorkers are very nice! A street vendor gave me a free bottle of water after a conversation we had; the doormen and taxi drivers are very polite and helpful, people hold doors. I miss my dear Minnesota, and part of my heart will always long for the shores of Lake Calhoun, or the open expanses of trees, fields, flowers. But I am rapidly growing to love this city, and having a fabulous time getting around and exploring. School starts tomorrow, and I am so excited about what I'll be learning. God has ridiculously, over-the-top blessed me with this, but also with all of the wonderful friends I have back in the Midwest.
"This is what the LORD says--your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: 'I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.'" ~Is. 48:7

May He direct my path, and teach me what is best!

No comments: