Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Who'da Thunk It?

Today was a very interesting day. I finally got out of my room (I've been sick in bed the last four days, minus a brief excursion yesterday) and had to enjoy the beautiful weather. It has been magnificently comfortable, sunny, and delightful to be out in. I walked around the East side today, exploring an area that I don't often find myself in. To start, I walked down Fifth Ave and worked up the guts to go into Tiffany's. I wasn't entirely sure if they'd let me in; I don't look like a trust-fund kid or an heiress, but I put on my haughtiest look, and breezed on in past the doormen. Once I got inside, I realized that every paunchy man with a fanny pack and an 'I (Heart) NY' t-shirt in New York was there, so apparently, I had nothing to worry about. Still, I felt like I had accomplished something significant, just by getting in. I went up to the second floor, where they keep the pearl jewelry, diamond jewelry, and engagement rings, and browsed. What I saw took my breath away, literally. I've never really been one for the bling, but this stuff was incredible. One sapphire and diamond necklace that I was absolutely entranced by had a price tag of $425, 000.00. That's right. Enough to finance my entire education, twice over. Or buy a really nice house. Or sponsor a bunch of orphans for life! Something I found really fascinating was watching (hopefully subtly) the elegantly dressed men standing mutely by while their girlfriends tried on ridiculously expensive engagement rings. Now, I'm not saying that I wouldn't be totally floored if my beloved bought me a Tiffany engagement ring, but I'd make him take it back. I couldn't live with myself for wearing something that many people died getting (ever see Blood Diamond?), and which the money used to by it could have been going to something that would benefit many people in more profound ways than finger icing. Sure, easy for me to say. I don't have a Tiffany engagement ring. But still. I just couldn't reconcile someone spending that much on a rock.
As I walked around this great city that is becoming home more every day, I did a lot of contemplation and soul searching. I discovered that New York has done one of two things to me. It has either brought out things in me that were always there but I never realized, or developed in me characteristics that are completely new. For example, I've never loved shopping as much as I do here. My whole life, I actually abhored it. But here, were it not for the budget, I'd probs go at least once a week. Also, one of my favorite things to do is go get a mani/pedi. Those who know me well know that I never ever paint my fingernails, but here, I can't get enough of it. Bizarre. I've also learned that there are certain places in town that are very dangerous for me to be in.
1)Zara--I love this store; I am almost guaranteed to drop a significant amount of cash if I walk in here, even if I didn't need anything to begin with.
2)H&M--same as with Zara
3)Anthropologie -- ditto
4)Barnes and Nobles -- each time I walk in, I innocently think to myself that I am just going to browse and then leave; hardly ever happens without a new book in hand
5) Whole Foods, Trader Joes -- same. I could have a fridge full of food, but Oh! Blueberries on sale! And strawberries!
6) I am absolutely weak for anything British. I hear that accent and I immediately start following that person like a dog who hasn't eaten in weeks. Truly, it is embarrasing how much I like all things British. I can't get enough. I have become a true Anglophile.
7) Tea shops -- it used to be that I would not allow myself down the tea/coffee aisle at Cub or Rainbow, because I knew it would lead to no good. I already have enough tea to last me the rest of the year. But no matter what, without fail, whenever I go down a tea aisle at any store, I want one of each. Yes. I know. I can see you shaking your head. But it is true.

People watching is one of the great NY pasttimes. I've seen some crazy stuff, but here are my three favorites:

No comments: