Thursday, September 4, 2008

Mi Primer Dia En Clinico

It was a sweaty walk the twelve blocks to my clinical sight this morning, but the anticipation gave my feet wings, and I got there an hour early. Today was the first day of community clinical, and it was absolutely wonderful. Better than I dreamed it could be. Since this is the type of setting I would like to end up in when I get my degree, I was really excited to see what it would be like; well, equal parts excited and nervous. As is my tendency when I get nervous, I started singing show tunes in my head. Today's selection was "What will today be like?" from the Sound of Music. You know, when Julie Andrews has her first day as governess? Love that song. Anyway, the clinic is located in my neighborhood, which is probably 95% Dominican American. All of our patients today spoke Spanish, and a large percentage spoke Spanish primarily. My preceptor was so great; we hit it off right away, and she really showed me a lot. Next week, I get to start doing shots all by myself! I can't wait. One elderly woman came in complaining of pain in her hands and legs; she spoke only Spanish, so my preceptor spoke to her, and I just listened, desperate to learn this beautiful language. That's one of my goals for this semester: learn enough Spanish to be conversant, and by the time I graduate, to be fluent. Lofty, I know, but I want to do it. Well, I caught a few words here and there, but then my preceptor had to leave for a sec to grab something, and I was left there with this crying lady, whom I so earnestly wanted to comfort. I patted her on the back, and then, haltingly, said, "Yo parle un poquito Espanol. Lo siento." ( I have no idea if that sentence structure is correct!) She understood me, though, and nodded, "Si!" and then I pointed to her hands and said, "Los manos, mal?" "Si!"she said. Pointing to her left hand, "Un poquito" and to her right "Mas mal". So I got the drift that one hand hurt more than the other. Well, the day was filled with encounters like this, which I loved! The other nurses who work there are fab; two of them took me and my fellow nursing student to a great little Dominican restaurant a block away and we got really yummy food for very cheap. On the way back, they pointed out to us two very imaginative manequins; they were probably equivalent to 5'6" with a size double-D chest. And a large behind. And an unproportionately small waist. Nice. Gag.
So, I am loving my placement, and learning Spanish. Today's words ( don't know if spelled right):
Los ohos - eyes
Los orihos - ears
Los manos- hands
La brassa- arm
Los nares-nose
La boca- mouth
enfermera- nurse
medico(a)- doctor of medicine
doctore- doctor with any doctorate degree
Las piernas- legs
Dolor de garganta- sore throat
Donde le duele?-where does it hurt?
And my favorite, 'mi corazon'- my heart, which my preceptor called me. So sweet. I'm bummed I'm only there for five weeks, but I go to OB next, so I'll get my babies again...it's been too long!
It was a great day, Praise God, and I am anxious to learn even more.

No comments: