Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Of Snow and Friends

I haven't written in more than a month, and that so isn't like me. For a woman who processes things by writing them down, one can imagine how mentally congested I must be right now! I am just coming off of my last final, and I am beyond burned out. So tired, I am picturing all of my mitochondria with little sleeping hats on, bundled in little mitochondrial-size beds, with signs up saying, "Nope. We is done. Come back later." On the upside, my friends and I hung out from like 4pm on til late tonight, blowing off steam and enjoying the beautiful, wonderful, splendiferous snow that was blanketing the city in its white glory. We sang Disney songs, we talked about life, we had snowball fights, we danced, we walked and laughed and had so much fun. Laughter and lightheartedness are truly a balm to a weary mind and a tired body. I think the best part, for me, was watching the joy and excitement on the faces of my dear dear friends from California who have never lived in a place where there is snow before. As someone who absolutely adores the white fluffiness, I can relate to their exuberance; I get giddy like a schoolgirl for the first snow each year. It is really all I can do to restrain myself from jumping around outside and making snowforts and challenging all of the neighborhood kids to snowball fights. So to see them all, with snowflakes resting gently on their hair and clothes, spinning around as the white wonder brought freshness and beauty, thrilled my heart.
Our program is very demanding; I think someone figured out the other day that we have taken 40 credits in 6 months. Dang. But I have been richly blessed with such incredible friends, friends who help me to see the light when I just want to crawl into a hole, or fall into a studying-induced coma. To be here with them, going through this with them, no words can describe. What an amazing group of people I am surrounded by.
I am soooo excited for Christmas break; I can't wait to do everything I haven't had time to do yet. Ice skating, going to my fave place of all in NYC, seeing the decorations and lights, seeing the tree at the Rock, spending ALL DAY at a Barnes and Nobes if I want....the possibilities are endless and I just can't wait to relax and rejuve.
Well, I have to be up for clinical in six hours, so I should end this, but I just wanted to tell all my homeys, I love you so much and thanks for being there! And Gig, when you find me some of those pelican briefs, get me a pair ;).
Goodnight, sweet, white-covered world!

No comments: