Sunday, March 22, 2009

Dropping Eaves at Starbs

One of my favorite things to do in New York is eavesdrop. It is probably rude and I should maybe try to make myself stop doing it, but I really love it. I should qualify this statement; I do not eavesdrop on people that I know; that would be straight-up rude. But the distance provided by not knowing someone makes it more like watching a movie than intruding. I think I do it so much because it is like reading a book, except I get it in real-time, verbal form. So here I am, working on my book, at my favorite Starbs in the city (on 67th and Columbus) and thinking of the already interesting interactions I’ve heard/seen this week at Starbucks, on subways, walking down the street, waiting in line, and just generally everywhere in this amazing city. It’s around two in the afternoon, and I came down here today because it is the last day of spring break, and I am procrastinating. Or maybe just soaking up every bit of free time I have until integration starts next week. I’ll go with that excuse. Yes, I’m just maximizing my time. Anyway, I get on the train, listening to my iPod shuffle, and reading a book. The 1 is typically crowded; it is a Saturday afternoon, which generally lends itself to predictable standing-room-only rides. A couple next to me has come on and I soon realize that they are in the middle of an argument. They are being pretty vocal about it, I think because they think that I am both otherwise occupied with the book, and can’t hear them with the iPod. Well, the snatches that I’m able to catch are intriguing and I want to hear more. I sneakily shut off my music but leave my earbuds in, just to sink to new levels of deviousness. This woman was very put together, very nice looking. I didn’t get a look at the man, who was standing right behind me, but he sounded educated. She was saying to him, “You have to be harder on her. You can’t let her get away with it. She’s doing really terribly in school, and I want her to graduate normally, not get a GED.” He replies, sounding very defensive and upset, “Look, I don’t know what you want me to do. I talk to her about it. She’s my daughter. I’m not going to beat her. I refuse to!” My eyebrows raised at that one, I thought imperceptibly, but the woman quickly switches into Spanglish, perhaps because she noticed my feigned reading. Shoot. I really have to learn Spanish this summer. I think the gist was that they were divorced (?), the daughter was failing out of school, and the Dad was not being hard enough on her, according to the Mom. They got off at the next stop, still with the woman snipping at the man, so I’m not sure what the full deal was.
An adorable, stooped, balding octogenarian comes up to me. “May I sit here, miss?” “Why yes, of course!” I say, thrilled. Nothing makes my day more than an adorable old guy. We chat for a bit, and then I lapse into reading my book, him his paper. A little while later, a tall man wearing a navy coat with red and gold epaulets and tassels comes in and says to my tablemate, “Sir, your car is ready.” I look up at him, and shock must have been on my face, because he chuckles a cute old-man chuckle. I say, like the awestruck Midwesterner that I am, “You have a driver?” He says, “I was delivering rugs today. I sell Turkish rugs and was delivering to a man down the block.” Gosh, he’s still delivering rugs at his age? He can barely stand up straight! Wow, good for him!
As I look out the window, daydreaming, I see across the street from me a tall man in a red baseball cap hugging and kissing a beautiful petite Asian woman, who looks to be about my age. There is a limousine driver respectfully waiting for them to say their goodbyes, his back turned to them, and facing me at the Starbucks. She is smiling and laughing, her hands clutched around his neck as he playfully leans down to nuzzle her on the cheek. They kiss, tenderly, and then she gets in the car, reluctantly. He stays there, planted on the corner, as the driver loads her luggage and walks to the driver-side door. They are mouthing words to each other through the car window as the car eases from the curb, and he walks alongside it, while she is inside, waving at him. He watches the car pull away, with an indiscernible expression on his face. I can’t quite interpret it. It looks kind of like, “Shoot. Well, what do I do now? She’s cute but she’s gone.” He walks slowly, hands in his pockets, back to an apartment building and goes through the front door, presumably back to his now-empty apartment. I wonder what their story is? I sit here, making up scenarios. I will never know.
Down the counter a little from me is a German man with a rattail, talking with very thick accented English to someone on the phone. He was sitting next to me for awhile, but I kept glancing at him, because from the corner of my eye, it looked like he was reading what I was typing on my computer, and it was making me really uncomfortable. I wanted to type, in the middle of a sentence, “I see you reading this, dude. Bug off. This is personal stuff.” The irony of my being spied on while I write about eavesdropping hits me and I laugh to myself. Well played, God. Well played.
Some tweens come in. I’m getting pretty bad at judging ages of youngsters now (did I just say ‘youngsters’? Oh goodness gracious me. Geez Louise Mr. Pumpernickel Redbuttons) since the girls all look like they could be anywhere from 13-23. The girls are all very well makeuped; much overdone in my opinion. Did I look like that at 15? Grown women wearing makeup is unremarkable, but when I see teenage girls doing it, they just seem kind of silly. But, I’m sure I was silly, too. I remember what it was like, wanting to be older, wanting to look like a grown-up and be taken seriously as a grown-up. I remember what a big day it was for me the first time someone working behind the counter called me “Ma’am”, instead of my usual “Miss” or nothing at all. I’m a “Ma’am” now? Really? Wow, I must look old! I think I was 17 at the time. Funny how as we grow up, we start wanting to look younger. I kind of want to take those girls aside, and say, “Hey. Enjoy your youth, and don’t try to grow up too quickly. It’ll come soon enough, believe me. Then you’ll have bills to pay and broken hearts to nurse and apartments to find and sometimes it just makes you wish you could be five again, when the most challenging decision of the day was whether you’d have PB&J for lunch, or turkey.” And they’ll look at me and one another, raise their perfectly plucked eyebrows, and say, “Who’s this old lady giving us advice?” And I’ll say, “Someone who’s been where you are, and is where you’ll be.” And I’d get a bunch of “whatevers” and “as if”s or whatever it is kids these days are saying. Oh man, I just used the expression ‘kids these days.’ What am I, like 105? Sheesh.
The boys they are with look like they just stepped off of “Project Runway”. Slicked back hair with bizarre sideways coiffed bangs, tight jeans and striped shirts with studs, jackets with buckles. Wow. If guys dressed like that when I was a teenager, they’d have been shot. It was all about the Abercrombie and Fitch back then. Preppie to the max. I think there might have been an unofficial contest about who could be the preppiest in school. By choice, the only thing even close to Abercrombie and Fitch that I owned was a shirt I got at the State Fair that said, “Abercowpie and Bitch” or something like that. Just thumbing my nose as the estab in whatever rebellious teenage way I could! Again, the irony hits me that here I am, on a Saturday afternoon with frizzy hair and minimal makeup, wearing a sweatshirt and jeans with sneakers, and I have the gall to critique others on their fashion sense. Teenage boys, no less, who are, I guess like all of us, trying to figure who the heck they are and where the heck they fit in. I’m mean, and I really shouldn’t talk, especially in a current get-up like mine.
I can’t seem to turn around with seeing Israeli guys hitting on blond girls. I take that back. Very tall, shaved headed Israeli guys hitting on blond girls, mostly wearing black jackets. One might say to me, “Stef! You are racist! How do you know those guys are Israeli? They could be anything.” I know for two reasons: 1) I’ve had my fair share of attention from shaved-head tall Israelis and 2) I can hear them speak and they sound like every other Israeli I know. Don’t get me wrong, I only mention the Israeli part because it ties in with this theory I am developing about how I’ve seen certain kinds of men attracted over and over to certain kinds of women. That is pretty general and vague, but I’m afraid that going into examples would really make me out to sound like an arrogant white chick, so I’ll refrain. I know we all have our types; personally, I have a tendency to be inexplicably drawn to tall brown haired guys or redheads. So, I am really no one to talk. But I bring this up because as I was walking to Starbs today, I saw yet again another tall Israeli guy talking and smiling with that specific “I’m interested” head tilt to a petite blond wearing a black jacket. I realize they could have been friends already, they could have just run into each other after a long absence, I don’t know. But just reading body language, he was hitting on her, in his tracksuit, and she was loving it. I mean, seriously, who wouldn’t? He was pretty cute! It was funny though, that here I was thinking about it, and then I see it before my eyes.
The table I am sitting at is by the door, and not only do I get the draft every time someone comes in (small price to pay for privilege of getting a table at a Starbucks on a Saturday in NYC), but I am taking an inordinate amount of enjoyment from watching people consistently push on the locked door, thinking they can get in or out through it. I’d say ninety-nine point nine percent of people either coming or going have originally pushed or pulled on said locked door, found it not budging, looked up in confusion and/or anger at the doorjamb, and then went out the other door. Some look embarrassed, some frustrated, some just plain “Oh well” about it. I decided that I am going to surreptitiously count how many times in a half-hour this happens.
From 3:13pm to 3:43pm, out of thirty people who entered and exited the coffee shop through this set of doors, 22 initially tried the wrong door and made faces, and 8 got it right the first time. That means that 73% of people who enter/exit Starbucks and use that door get it wrong the first time. 27% get it right the first time. I’d have to take a larger sample size to really get a good grasp on the stats surrounding the misuse of this door, but it continues to be pretty funny sitting here, watching everyone do it the wrong way. I can laugh without feeling too bad because I have done it myself many times. And a lady just walked out the door with toilet paper stuck to her shoe and I didn’t have time to tell her about it. And I think Kaptain Kangaroo just walked in. Ordered a doppio, said hello to his friend, Mr. something, and left.
I went up to the bar to get some food, I was ravenous. A guy up there said, “Are you getting all of your work done?” I laughed and said I was, and then ordered my bacon and gouda sandwich and a water. The sandwich is bery bery good-a. Ha. He asked me, “Do you want a refill on your iced tea?” How did he know I have an iced tea? But yeah, sure! “But how much is it?” I ask. “Is it free?” “I’ll tell you what I’ll do. I’ll give it to you for fifty cents.” Seriously? A $3.47 drink for fifty cents?? You got it, man. “Gosh, thanks!” I say, and then proceed to tell him about the fun I am having watching people trying unsuccessfully to get out of the locked door. I am even nerdy enough to tell him the percentages I figure out. I am sooo cool. He laughs, and hands me his business card. Apparently, besides being a barista,he is a life coach. Interesting.
So I’m still sitting at the table, it’s 5:30pm and this little baby in a stroller comes in, pushed by his dad. The dad gets a drink, and then pulls the baby stroller over to the wall by me. I look up and smile at the kiddo, and he smiles back, a big, toothy grin. The dad looks to see who he is looking at, and sees me smiling at his son. The baby and I smile and wave at each other, and the dad wheels his son over to me. “Hello, sir!” I say to the baby. “What is your name?” The dad, of course, answers that his name is Andrew and it’s his birthday in a week. Andrew claps his hands in glee, and I clap too. “Happy birthday, sweetie!” He smiles and tries to take my computer cord, then lift my purse (even I can barely do that), and finally wants to make off with my drink. The dad moves his son out the reach of these items and then we smile and clap hands some more. They say goodbye and leave, Andrew smiling at me all the while. What a great day. Cute old guys, adorable almost-one-year-old babies, and making progress on my book.
What an entertaining afternoon at Starbucks this has been!

No comments: