Saturday, July 12, 2008

I'm So Glad It's Done

Wow. What an intense, cruddy week. The tests were challenging; the studying was interminable, it seems like. After Pharmacology yesterday, I had to take a nap out of self-defense. I was so tired and worn out, my muscles were starting to spasm and hurt. It was unreal. So, a group of us went out last night to blow off some steam and ended up staying out til 5:30am. And then a new friend and I sat on our roof and watched the sun come up over the city. It was so much fun to just go out and have fun and hang out and dance, other than the very disgusting dancing that many guys in this city seemed to want to do with us. Thankfully, we were protected by two great guy friends who shooed the gross guys away and allowed us to have a good time minus the grossness. Praise God for gentlemen!
In class last week, I was reading the Times, trying to stay awake, and I came across some tidbits that just reaffirmed my suspicion that some people have professions that match their surnames, or perhaps because of their surnames? For instance, I found these nuggets:
From Observatory by Henry Fountain, about underwater volcanic activity, "'A map of the area created using sonar showed what appeared to be cratered volcanoes...' a research project done by Robert A. Sohn of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Massachusetts". See it? Dr. Sohn works with sonar.
Also from Observatory, "Robert H. Hurt, an engineering professor at Brown University, set out to see what could be done to reduce the risk...of mercury in recycled compact fluorescent bulbs". Dr. Hurt researching how to not get hurt by mercury.
And also, "You never know, " Dr. James W. Head III said. He is the professor of geological sciences at Brown and one of the lead authors of an article in Science. Head talking about not knowing.
Excellent. For a collector of all things humorous and nonsensical, these articles tickled my funny bone. Perhaps I should have changed my surname to "Getbetter" or "Careforyou". I can hear it now, 'Paging Nurse Getbetter, Nurse Getbetter, please come to the OR. Dr. Bones needs your assistance.'

No comments: